The Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz is a research institute dedicated to the history of art and of architecture. Its main focus are the art and visual culture of Italy, Europe, and the Mediterranean in a global perspective. Founded in 1897 on a private initiative of a group of scholars, the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz is one of the oldest institutions for art-historical research. It has been affiliated with the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft since 2002. The Institute has a particular commitment to promoting young researchers. It boasts an extensive Library and Photothek, which are open for international research. Current individual and cooperative projects at the Institute deal with trans-cultural dynamics, ethics and architecture, history of science and of museums, photography, the relation between aesthetics and ecology, languages of art and art history, and interactions between discourses on images and objects.
- Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz
Via Giuseppe Giusti 44
- Casa Zuccari
Via Giuseppe Giusti 49
- Photo Library of the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz
Palazzo Grifoni Budini Gattai, Via dei Servi 51
Library of the
Via Giuseppe Giusti, 44
50121 Firenze / Italy
Phone: +39 055 24911-1
Fax: +39 055 24911-55
Mon – Fri, 9am – 8pm
Photo Library of the
Palazzo Grifoni Budini Gattai
Via dei Servi 51
50122 Firenze / Italy
Phone: +39 055 216707
Fax: +39 055 2676751
Mon – Fri, 10am – 7pm
User ID Cards
User ID Cards, which allow access to the Library and Photothek, can be obtained at the following times:
Tues, 10 – 11am
Wed, 2 – 3pm
Thurs, 10 – 11am
Wireless LAN (eduroam)
eduroam is a secure wireless LAN for all members of the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz, as well as for external users of the worldwide eduroam network. Authentication is performed using the access data of users' home institutions.
Please use the eduroam Configuration Assistant Tool (CAT) to set up the connection on your device. This program automatically configures all required settings for different operating systems (Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS and Android).
Palazzo Capponi-Incontri and Casa Rosselli
The holdings of the Library are installed on the ground, first and second floors of the Palazzo Incontri-Rosselli. The storeys above these floors house the offices of the twin directorates of the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz. Work places for doctoral and post-doctoral researchers are distributed throughout the entire building. Offices for library staff and for the editorial staff of the Mitteilungen, as well as for research groups, are situated on the ground floor, as well as on the first and second floors.
The Palazzo Capponi-Incontri was erected on the site of the former Convento della Pietà between 1825 and 1830. The owner Gino Capponi (1792–1876) commissioned the architect Gaetano Baccani (1792–1867) to design and erect the new building, which was intended for one of his two daughters. After her death it was inherited by her sons Lodovico and Carlo Incontri. They in turn sold the south-east wing of the building to the Rosselli family in 1926. The part of the Palazzo that had remained in the possession of the Incontri family was acquired for the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz in 1961. The purchase of the adjacent Casa Rosselli for the Institute followed in 1972.
The ground floor and first floor of the Casa Zuccari contain offices for administration, research coordination, public relations, and for Director Emeritus Max Seidel. It also houses a seminar room for some 25 persons. The photographic laboratory of the Photothek is now installed on the second floor of the Casa Zuccari.
The Casa Zuccari owes its present name to the painter and art theorist Federico Zuccari (1540/1–1609), who acquired the house built by Andrea del Sarto (1486–1531) in 1577. Zuccari enlarged the house, added a studio building, and decorated the garden room with a mythological and allegorical iconographical programme. After Zuccari had left Florence in 1579, he sold the house to Giovan Battista Paggi in 1602, and it was presumably Paggi who later commissioned the frescoes in the upper storey. The building thereafter changed owners several times and was used as a “casa d’artista”, by Carlo Dolce (1616–1686) and Baldassare Franceschini, called Il Volterrano (1611–1689), respectively. The Casa Zuccari was acquired for the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz in 1987.
Palazzo Grifoni Budini Gattei
The Photothek of the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz is currently housed in the Palazzo Grifoni Budini Gattai. The entrance to the photographic archive is on the piano nobile. Offices and rooms for special collections have been installed on the ground floor. A seminar room for some 45 persons is also situated on the first floor; it is used for research events of the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz.
The Palazzo Grifoni was the home of Ugolino Grifoni (1504–1576), who commissioned the architect Bartolomeo Ammannati (1511–1592) to erect it in 1561–1565 in one of the most prominent sites in the centre of Florence. The façade that faces Piazza Santissima Annunziata was completed in 1772. The present interior decorations of the house, with its impressive ceremonial staircase and fresco decorations on the piano nobile, were commissioned by the Budini Gattai family, who acquired the palazzo in 1890.